1. OR: Bowhunters cautioned about wildfires.
Go to that link ^ to see an interactive fire restrictions map.
2. OR: Deer tagging app won’t work when there’s no service.
Common for apps but kinda a fail?
> Until it’s fixed, hunters and anglers are asked to take a screen shot on their license and tags.
3. MI needs more tags to reduce its whitetail population?
> For too many years our deer herd has been managed for sheer numbers. However, nobody has ever found the “off switch” to our self-inflicted predicament of too many deer.
4. MS emphasized air guns good on private land only.
> “It’s a legal weapon after the early primitive weapons season. It’s legal on private lands.”
5. NM: Lots of new state land available for hunting.
6. WI hunter finds x-bow, returns it to its rightful owner.
> An empathetic 29-year-old Oshkosh man took the extra steps to reunite the owner to his treasured crossbow found in a parking lot. Hank Xiong said his drive to find the owner was fueled by his own bad memories when he was younger when his own prize bow was stolen.
Big props to ya deer brother!
7. TX: Multi-mil $$$ ranch owners sue over deer hunting.
> The company and partnership that bought the ranch now say it’s not the deer-hunting mecca they were led to believe.
8. IA launches online Deer Exchange.
Connects hunters with folks who need venison.
9. NE has has a venison donation program.
10. TX: San Antonio food bank wants venison donations.
> The Food Bank’s Hunters for the Hungry will process donated whole deer and donate the venison to needy families — at no cost to the hunter.
11. Some MN meat processors too busy to take deer this fall.
> This year people bought more cattle and hogs directly from farmers due to the impact of Covid on large meat processing plants and a fear of meat shortages and higher prices.
12. Interwebz freaks over hunting groom’s cake.
The trolls are too sensitive and like stuff that’s none of their biz:
> The single-tier cake features a topper that shows a bride with a rifle in hand, dragging behind her a fatigues-wearing groom. A deer, shell casings and foliage are situated nearby the scene, along with the words, “The Hunt Is Over,” written on the front of the cake.
13. ID muley population should be better this season.
> “When you consider that about 80% of the mule deer in ID’s herds are between 1 and 3 years old, and take a look at the winter fawn survival numbers for the few years leading up to 2019, the dip in harvest was likely inevitable. The good news for ID mule deer hunters is that the statewide fawn survival data from last winter paints a brighter picture for 2020.”
14. CO preparing to vote on wolf reintroduction.
> Weeks before CO voters take on Initiative 107 — which would pursue the re-introduction of gray wolves in the state — nature may already be taking its course. Recent news indicates an active pack of gray wolves may already be living and breeding in northwestern CO.
15. OR hunter gored to death by wounded elk.
Bull was later euthanized:
> The 5×5 bull charged Mark David and gored him in the neck with its antlers.
Bless you hunting brother.
16. Matt Stutzman gives us perspective.
Matt is one of the top-ranked archers in the country:
> “If I can take a bow that’s not modified for me and I can compete against people that have arms and beat them at their own sport, well, then, what’s everybody else’s excuse?”