1. WI: 104-yr-old grandma tags her first deer!
Big congrats to Florence Teeters, the oldest person to ever purchase a deer hunting license in WI. Guess that means she’s the oldest person to ever shoot a deer in the state too:
> Mrs. Teeters…got the idea to get her first hunting license for this year’s gun deer season while sitting in the blind on her land in Price County with her son Bill during last year’s gun deer season.
> Not quite 2 hours into their wait, the spike buck appeared. “I tapped her on her knee, and I pointed,” Bill said. Mrs. Teeters smiled and nodded that she saw what her son saw. She waited, and when the time was right — she shot and got her first buck.
> “She was so excited and saying, ‘I got a buck! I got a buck!'”
Hope you get many more bucks, Mrs. Teeters!
2. MO: 19-point DOE shot.
3. PA: Saturday opener gets mixed reviews.
> “I didn’t want to see it start on Saturday. There’s more chance for accidents and more kids out there. I really don’t think people want to hunt on Saturday. That’s when everyone is out in the mountains, partying.
> “I think people are going to like it more because it’s another day to hunt. It’s going to be convenient because we’re going to have 3 extra days: 1 for archery, 1 for rifle and whatever the game commission decides for the other day.”
Also, Sunday hunting will start next fall. Hasn’t been allowed in PA in 337 years! Even back then it was like:
4. PA DNR investigating buck cruelty video.
Shows 2 people (don’t call ’em hunters) kicking and stomping an injured buck:
> The Game Commission is in the very early phase of the investigation, but they believe they know both people in the video. “We do have two suspects in mind, so far…. Indications are that one of them may be a juvenile.”
5. IN: New real-time deer harvest website.
Can’t link it, but here’s the addy: https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm
6. MO hunters tag nearly 179,000 deer during Nov season.
Down from nearly 201K last year:
> 91,420 were antlered bucks, 17,237 were button bucks, and 70,279 were does.
7. WI: Opening weekend deer harvest down 27%.
> Wildlife officials cited the later timing of the season, relative lack of snow and high amount of standing crops for this year’s lower deer harvest.
8. MN: 20k fewer deer taken this year.
Probly can apply the same WI weather stuff to MN:
> The total harvest of deer statewide, including all permit types, is currently at 166,761 deer.
9. IL: 15% fewer deer taken during firearm opener.
Wow. Just over 50K deer harvested opening weekend — we’re sure some bigs are still out there!
10. MI: Yooper deer harvest up.
> 10 days into this year’s firearm deer hunting season, wildlife biologists…report an average 12% increase in the number of deer checked at stations across the region.
Sez 90% have been bucks….
Maybe that’s 1 reason why MI hunters have donated record amount of venison. 58K lbs which means 232K meals. #strong
11. NM: Wardens get tech to fight poaching.
The Mule Deer Foundation donated $7K worth of thermal imaging gear:
> “[Poachers] use thermal (imaging), being undetected. This puts us on a level playing field with them.”
12. More eye-poppers from around the webz.
Clockwise from top left:
1. How ’bout this 192-range northwest WI deer, posted by Deer & Deer hunting.
2. Deer brother Rob Flood sent us in this NICE 170-class IL bow buck he rattled in.
3. @shedaddiction shared this IA stud with ridiculously long brows.
4. Pro bass fisherman @drewbentonfishing “landed” this THICK 9-point — his “PB” in fishing terms (“personal best”).
5. Don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the points on this SD buck taken by Terry Fauth and shared by SD Big Bucks.
6. Congrats to Holly and thanks to OH Trophy Bucks for sharing this wide 10-point.
Send us your buck by replying to this email or at @deerblaster.official on Facebook and Instagram. Please include any details you have: state, area, points/score, weapon taken with.
13. NY: This ever happen to you??
Check out this wild ruffed grouse perching on a rifle:
Could see a spruce grouse doing that, but not a ruffie — crazy….
14. VA: Mattaponi and Pamunkey chiefs present a deer to Gov…
…during annual tax tribute ceremony. Pretty cool: