But it means they’ll be over the limit??
> It would give thousands of big-game licenses – elk and deer – to nonresidents who agree to hunt with an outfitter, thus exceeding the limit of 17,000 nonresidents allowed to hunt in MT.
2. UT approves final plan to reduce deer tags.
Sounds like related to drought:
> In their Dec 2020 deer population report, they estimated…3,300 fewer deer from 2019 and more than 60,000 fewer than 2018 estimates.
3. ND will have more gun licenses next season.
> 72,200 licenses for this fall’s deer gun season, an increase of 3,150 from 2020.
4. Is the number of western big-game hunters growing?
GoHunt says they might be, looks like mostly anecdotal reasons tho….
5. ME biologists want 40% more harvest.
> …in an effort to reduce the population in parts of ME where there are high levels of Lyme disease and public complaints about too many deer.
6. NE approves more deer harvest.
> Commissioners approved staff recommendations to increase deer permits and bonus antlerless-only whitetail tags in several management units to stabilize populations.
> “We have listened to hunters and landowners and are issuing more big game permits. We are continuing to address depredation complaints in a variety of ways, including the addition of wildlife staff and other resources.”
7. OR deadline for controlled or premium hunts is May 15.
> But because the deadline falls on a weekend, ODFW customer service staff will not be able to help you if you wait until Saturday to apply.
8. VT will hold virtual deer hearing next week.
May 11 and May 13, agenda is here.
9. MI DNR grants $100K for UP deer habitat improvement.
12 projects in 10 counties.
10. Remington: Model 700s will be here by deer season.
> We believe these products’ rightful place is in the mid- to high end of their respective categories. As the beginning of a new chapter in this brand’s history, we intend to elevate…with improved quality, features, and technical improvements to performance.
> As we look to start up manufacturing, we are evaluating things like calibers, twist rates and manufacturing processes in order to take back that [Rem] reputation for accuracy and reliability.
11. Smith & Wesson is selling Thompson/Center.
> This decision is part of the company’s broader strategic plan that will focus on its core Smith & Wesson brands.
S&W bought T/C in 2011 as “an important step in our diversification strategy.”
12. New Weatherby marketing director: Zach Hein.
> Zach joins Weatherby from CZ-USA in Kansas City, where he spent 9 years in marketing….
13. ID passes bill to kill 90% of wolves.
Proponents say the wolves are killing livestock and wildlife, opponents say lawmakers shouldn’t be the ones setting hunting seasons and regs. Headed to the Gov’s desk.